Below are some frequently asked questions about our project. If you have a question that is not addressed here, please send us an email from Got Questions? on this site.
- How will residents get to town from the rural site?
A shuttle service will provide transportation to allow convenient travel to work, school, shopping, and recreation in Lawrence and beyond.
- What about maintenance to the buildings and grounds?
Home Works USA will provide professional maintenance to all buildings and the entire community site.
- What will the buildings be like?
Each house will be professionally designed and constructed, and permanently mounted on a concrete slab. All aspects of the design and construction will meet code standards. See Take a Look on this site for illustrations and a site map.
- How will residents be supported to become adults?
A Community Manager who is a trained social worker will be available to residents. Residents who show leadership abilities will serve as mentors to other residents.
- What are the rules of the community?
Rules for residents will be spelled out in their lease agreements. Residents may develop additional rules when the community is up and going. Rules governing units and common areas will comply with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Who will own the buildings?
The buildings will be owned by Home Works USA, LLC. The current land owners will retain ownership of the real estate and lease it on a long term basis to Home Works USA.
- What will daily life be like in the community?
Residents are likely to be employed, attend school, pursue a combination of work and school and may pursue entrepreneurial opportunities. Residents will have responsibilities such as paying their monthly rent and utilities, cooking, cleaning, and moving further into adulthood. They will make choices about available services and supports, and participation in community activities.
- Who is leading this project?
Leadership for this project includes:
– Barbara J. Sabol, Home Works USA, LLC (Property Owner)
– Frankie Foster-Davis, Home Works USA, LLC (Project Director)
– Jake Hodson, Home Works USA, LLC (Construction Project Manager)
– David Sain, Rockhill and Associates (Building Design)
– Michael Crow, Crow and Associates (Legal Counsel)
- Will the houses be fully electric?
- How many people will reside in each house?
These are single occupant dwellings.
- Will residents be allowed to have pets?
Yes, in accordance with the terms of their lease.
- Will the houses accessible?
There are three ADA compliant houses.
- Will the houses be furnished?
The houses will be furnished. Furnishings in accessible ADA compliant units will be configured to ensure that the tenants’ needs are a primary consideration.
- How will residents be selected?
Applicants must demonstrate sufficient resources to meet their financial obligations, including rent.
- How long will residents be allowed to stay?
There is no set time limit. Residents’ leases will govern the length of occupancy.
- Will the houses be inspected?
Inspections will be conducted in accordance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, and the terms of the lease.
- What about noise?
The community will enforce Kansas law prohibiting conduct that disturbs the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents.
- Can you help me visualize the size of these houses?
On the inside, these houses will be similar to a studio apartment.
- Why is Home Works USA building a community with small houses?
This community is being designed to best serve emerging adults leaving foster care by providing an environment that supports saving money and energy, while promoting health and happiness.
- How can I learn more?
Send us an email from Got Questions? and we will be back in touch with you. Thank you for your interest in this important work.